Friday 27 January 2012

Kota Kinabalu Food Scene Part 2

And then there was more noodles......

Another one of my favourite noodle soup - The Beef Soup with Meehoon.

You can either choose to have the Meehoon in the soup or have it dried with soya sauce. One is as delicious as the other, since it was a very hot afternoon, I went for the dried version.


Beef Meatball and Tripe Soup

You have a choice of many different ingredients added into the beef soup. I ordered the meatballs, tripe and beef meat. Although I do not like eating any offals, but the beef tripe is so delicious that I made an exception!

The beef soup was filled with flavours from various herbs used, black pepper and boiling for hours with beef. It has a wonderful beefy sweetness to it, like having a lighter version of rich beef stock!


Dried Meehoon with Beef

Eaten with the delicious dried meehoon mixed with soya sauce and some minced beef added, a perfect lunch for me.


Kari Laksa

The Kari Laksa was HHhhhmmmmm....delicious! So delicious that I have it every time I come back for holiday! Remember my post from last trip back home?

Although I cannot take very spicy (hot) food (unusual for a born and bred Malaysian), I love this Kari Laksa as it has all the spiciness and sweet kari taste BUT not chilli hot at all!

Served with chicken strips and my favourite 'Tofu pok', this noodle dish is simply irresistable!



Next, another noodle dish that is named after the place it was made.

Tamparuli Fried Noodles

The Tamparuli Fried Noodles is almost similar to the Tuaran Fried Noodles, but with thinner noodles. Served with strips of BBQ pork, thin omelette and local leafy vegatable.

The sweetness of the BBQ pork, tenderness of the omelette accompanying the wonderfully fried noodles.
Stir fried with the right heat and tossing done - 'wok hei', bringing out the wonderful taste of the egg noodles! Delicious!


Alright, now that we are done with noodles, lets have some side dishes and Chinese 'teacakes'......


Chinese Dumplings


The Chinese dumplings, made to order. Not just ANY dumplings, but those made by a certain boss lady in Kota Kinabalu. I think I can confidently assume that most KKians know which dumplings I am talking about.


Chinese dumplings

These dumplings are like the one Michelle P. made in Cardiff a couple of years ago. They can be fried or boiled, and we ordered 10 of each.

Very tasty pork filling oozing out of the soft dumpling skin (made of flour), crispy if fried. Dipped into Chinese black vinegar, I don't know why but it is just so delicious that I can eat one after the other!


Polo Bun

The Polo Bun or Pineapple Bun, made famous in Hong Kong. We call it 'Polo', which sounds like 'bo lo' which means pineapple in Cantonese. Even though it is called Pineapple Bun, it does not contain any pineapples at all! It is the appearance of its crusted top looking like a pineapple that gave it the name of Pineapple bun.

Eaten while hot as soon as it comes out of the oven, hhhhmmmmmm....heavenly!

With the sweet, sugar-ly crust and soft bun filled with rich butter cream, giving different textures and tastes, who can resist it?!



Butter Sugar Bun

Another bun from Hong Kong - the Butter Sugar Bun.

A very simple bun with a loose dough then topped with sugar and a cold square of butter.

Nothing better served with a nice glass of Iced Milk Tea on a nice hot afternoon!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow this all looks soo delicious its making me hungry! I love discovering and trying food from diff cultures on travels! The polo bun & laksa are drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dumplings and Kari Laksa look amazing and also happen to be two of my favouriet foods!

    ReplyDelete